Upcoming in St. Charles, Mo.
Inside the Missouri River 340
Presentation by MR340 Organizer, Scott Mansker
Scott will share the behind-the-scenes story of the world’s longest non-stop river paddling race, the MR340. He’ll be joined by some veteran paddlers to answer all of your race questions.
Time and Place
Wednesday, November 7, 2018
Big A's on the Riverfront
View on map
Presentation by paddler and MR340 organizer Scott Mansker
Wednesday, November 7, 2018
(NOTE – this month’s talk is the FIRST Wed.)
6. p.m. Social Hour at Big A’s on the Riverfront
7:00 p.m. Presentation
At Big A’s on the Riverfront (in the back room)
308 N Main St. – St Charles, MO
Presentation is FREE and open to the public!
Hosted by Greenway Network
The Missouri River 340 is the world’s longest non-stop river race and is listed as one of National Geographic’s Top 100 American Adventures. Starting in 2006, it has brought racers from England, Japan, Canada, Mexico, Australia and Denmark to come and race our river. The course spans the state of Missouri, 340 miles from Kansas City to St. Charles. Racers paddle day and night to finally reach the beach in St. Charles and say they did it! Come hear some stories about how this crazy thing got started and meet some of the paddlers who have done it a time or two.
Scott is one of the founders of Rivermiles, the folks that organize the Missouri River. He has been paddling on the Missouri River since 1989. Scott is also a high school teacher. He is a co-founder of BigMAP (Big Muddy Advocacy Partners) and also co-produced the “Rivermiles” PBS documentary series.
To Big A’s on the Riverfront, our host for the Speaker Series.
To get there from I-70
- Take I-70 to exit 229B – the 5th St. Exit
- Merge onto 5th St. headed north toward St. Charles.
- After about 1 mile, turn right on Monroe St.
- Turn left onto N. Main St.
- Big A’s will be on your right (308 N. Main St.) Additional parking is available in the rear.
- View on Google Maps.
Resources and Links
Dig deeper for more info on this topic:
- Rivermiles website
- MR340 Forum, with many years of experts sharing info on the race and the river.
- MR340 Facebook Group
- Missouri River Relief’s MR340 Resource Page – An archive of links, articles, info, photos and more.
- BOOK – “MR340 First Time Finisher” – a guide to planning your first race
- VIDEOS – MR340 You Tube Channel – Veteran Paddler Christopher Luedke’s amazing collection of How To videos on the race.
- 2018 Race Dispatches – eye-opening paddler’s guide to doing this race
- Select MR340 Videos
- ARTICLE – “Finding Flow on the Mighty MO” – by Brett Dufur, June 17, 2013, Missouri Conservationist
- VIDEO – “Floating Dreams” by Paul Jackson
The Big Muddy Speakers Series in St. Charles
is hosted by these wonderful partners:
All speakers are presenting for free and Big A’s is sharing the space for free! Thank you for sharing your knowledge with all of us!
A special thank you to Greg Poleski of Greenway Network for making this happen!
The views and opinions expressed by our presenters do not necessarily reflect the view or policies of Greenway Network, the Big Muddy Speaker Series or any of the partners that support this public forum. The Big Muddy Speaker Series believes that hearing diverse perspectives is a crucial building block for an informed public.