Upcoming in Rocheport, Mo.
“Spirit of Adventure” – A Canoe Voyage from Montana to Dallas
Presentation by expedition paddler Keith Lynch
Keith Lynch will share stories of his inspiring expedition last year, paddling his canoe down the entire Missouri/Mississippi river system, then up the Red and Trinity Rivers to Dallas.
NOTE – this presentation will be the THIRD Tuesday this month. In October we will return to our normal second Tuesday schedule.
Time and Place
Tuesday, September 15, 2015
Les Bourgeois Vineyards Bistro
View on map
Presentation by expedition paddler Keith Lynch (www.canoevoyage.com)
Tuesday, September 15, 2015 (third Tuesday this month)
- 7 p.m. presentation
- lower floor of the Les Bourgeois Vineyards Bistro in Rocheport, MO
- Map and Directions
If you intend on coming early to purchase an amazing dinner at Les Bourgeois Bistro before the presentation, PLEASE call to make a reservation at: 573-698-2300 and…tell them you are with the Big Muddy Speaker Series!
Presentation is FREE and open to the public!
Keith Lynch finished his epic canoe trip last year on Nov. 29, 2014, but there was one more step to his journey he was not aware of. On August 3, 2015, Keith hopped on a plane to Salt Lake City, Utah to receive the “Spirit of Adventure” award from Canoe & Kayak Magazine – a reader poll award that honors “ordinary” people doing extraordinary things.
Extraordinary is an understatement. In the spring of 2014, Keith quit his cubicle job in Dallas, TX, and traveled up to Montana where he met up with Norm Miller and Kris Walker, a couple of legendary “river angels” who helped get him started on his trip. He was going to canoe the entire Missouri River, then down the Mississippi River, then up the Red River, do a short portage then paddle up the Trinity River back to his home in Dallas.
The catch? Keith had never paddled a canoe before.
We are lucky to share the evening with this very funny, very inspiring everyman who dropped 50 pounds, gained a Grizzly Adams beard and made hundreds of friends and fans along our nation’s greatest rivers.
- 14020 W. Hwy BB, Rocheport, MO
- Take I-70 to the Rocheport, MO, exit (Exit #115). It’s the first exit east of the Missouri River.
- Head north toward Rocheport.
- After about a mile, turn left at the sign for Les Bourgeois Bistro. Follow the signs to the Bistro. You will probably need to park in the lot above the Bistro and walk the trail down.
- The presentations are held in upstairs in the restaurant. The restaurant is no longer open on Tuesdays but the bar is! You are welcome to bring your own food or snacks.
Resources and Links
Dig deeper into Keith’s story.
- His website – www.canoevoyage.com
- Each time Keith paddled out of a state, he recorded a short, funny video thanking everyone he met. Check out his YouTube channel here.
- Video from his Canoe & Kayak Magazine “Spirit of Adventure” Award Acceptance.
Some articles on his trip
- Canoe & Kayak Magazine – “Keith Lynch’s New (4,000 mile) American Dream” – Nov. 7, 2014
- The Town Talk – “Dallas man nearing end of 4,000 mile canoe trip” – Oct. 10, 2014
- Dallas Morning News – “Dallas man’s epic 4,000 journey ends in gratitude” – Dec. 3, 2014
The Big Muddy Speaker Series in Rocheport
is hosted by these wonderful partners.
- Missouri River Relief
- Friends of Big Muddy
- Columbia Fish & Wildlife Conservation Office (USFWS)
- Les Bourgeois Vineyards
- Big Muddy National Fish & Wildlife Refuge
Special thanks to Les Bourgeois Vineyards for giving us the opportunity to use their beautiful space overlooking the Missouri River. All speakers are presenting for free! Thank you all for sharing your knowledge with us!
The Big Muddy Speaker Series also takes place monthly in Kansas City and St. Charles.