Upcoming in Rocheport, Mo.
Cancelled: Franklin Island – One Family’s Heritage Along the River
The Davis family has deep roots in Howard County, MO, and along the banks of the Missouri River…
Time and Place
Tuesday, January 10, 2023
Les Bourgeois Vineyards Bistro
View on map
Due to unforeseen circumstances, this event has been cancelled.
Presentation by Paul Davis, son and grandson of the founders of Davisdale Farms
Tuesday, January 10th, 2022 Cancelled
- 7 p.m. presentation (6 p.m. Social Hour)
- Register for Virtual Zoom Option here.
- Watch it LIVE on our YouTube Channel (and you can also catch the recording there later)
- The Bistro at Les Bourgeois Vineyards in Rocheport, MO
- Google Map – Directions Below
The Bistro Restaurant is closed on Tuesdays, but the bar will be open. You ARE welcome to come early, bring some food and gather with friends before the presentation. Speaker Series attendees are welcome after 6:00 p.m.
Hosted by Missouri River Relief
The Davis family has deep roots in Howard County, MO, and along the banks of the Missouri River. Today’s Franklin Island and Davisdale Conservation Areas, in the floodplain and river hills across the river from Boonville, were farmed by three generations of the Davis family before being acquired by the Missouri Department of Conservation 35 years ago. This history stretches back to the days when Franklin Island was still an island, before the river was channelized by the Corps of Engineers and before today’s strong levees protected much of the rich Howard County floodplain.
Paul Davis, son and grandson of the founders of Davisdale Farms, will share stories on the fifty-year history of these treasured public lands prior to the acquisition by MDC. He will also describe the impact of the “Design for Conservation”, MDC’s land acquisition and management program made possible by a Missouri 1/8 cent sales tax.
This event has been cancelled.
Davis will also talk about the history of Interstate Marine Terminals, Inc. (IMT), the barge unloading facility located on the north bank of the Missouri River, just downstream from the Missouri River Bridge at Boonville, Missouri. IMT was also owned and operated by the Davis family for over thirty-five years. Davis successfully rebuilt the facility following the “Great Missouri River Flood of 1993”.
- 14020 W. Hwy BB, Rocheport, MO
- Take I-70 to the Rocheport, MO, exit (Exit #115). It’s the first exit east of the Missouri River.
- Head north toward Rocheport.
- After about a mile, turn left at the sign for Les Bourgeois Bistro. Follow the signs to the Bistro. You will probably need to park in the lot above the Bistro and walk the trail down.
- The presentations are held in upstairs in the restaurant. The restaurant is no longer open on Tuesdays but the bar is! You are welcome to bring your own food or snacks.
The Big Muddy Speaker Series in Rocheport
is hosted by these wonderful partners.
Click here for a list of upcoming presentations»
Special thanks to Les Bourgeois Vineyards for giving us the opportunity to use their beautiful space overlooking the Missouri River. All speakers are presenting for free! Thank you all for sharing your knowledge with us!
The Big Muddy Speaker Series also takes place in Kansas City and St. Charles.
The views and opinions expressed by our presenters do not necessarily reflect the view or policies of Missouri River Relief, the Big Muddy Speaker Series or any of the partners that support this public forum. The Big Muddy Speaker Series believes that hearing diverse perspectives is a crucial building block for an informed public.