Upcoming in Rocheport, Mo.
“Gumbo Bottoms” CD Release Celebration
This is a special event, celebrating the CD release of music from “Gumbo Bottoms: A Big Muddy Musical”. The creative team for the musical, writer Meredith Ludwig and musicians Cathy Barton and Dave Para, will be on hand to share stories and tunes.
Time and Place
Tuesday, May 13, 2014
Les Bourgeois Vineyards Bistro
View on map
Tuesday, May 13, 2014
6 p.m. – Social Hour
7 p.m. presentation and music by the “Gumbo Bottoms” creative team
Music by Cathy Barton and Dave Para
lower floor of the Les Bourgeois Vineyards Bistro in Rocheport, MO (directions below)
Hosted by Turner Hall River Rats for the Arts
“Gumbo Bottoms – a Big Muddy Musical”, is a local treasure. Local writer Meredith Ludwig took the seeds of oral histories she collected from local river rats, cultivated them into a story and wrote a script for a musical based on these stories. Boonville musician Cathy Barton joined the team, writing a complete score of songs to flesh out the storyline.The musical, brought to life by a stable of local actors, was performed in many Missouri River towns on its initial run.
Because of the support of the Turner Hall River Rats for the Arts, Cathy and her husband Dave Para have recorded a CD of this wonderful music. To celebrate this CD release, they are joining us for an evening of conversation and music about this Missouri River cultural treasure.
Many of the stories that developed into “Gumbo Bottoms” were told to Meredith by Fred Oerly, who grew up in the small river and railroad town of Overton, which was directly across the river from where Les Bourgeois Bistro is now. The area is now part of the Big Muddy National Fish & Wildlife Refuge – Overton Bottoms Unit. The “Gumbo Bottoms” crew decided Les Bourgeois would be the perfect place to have this event, and we were proud it could be part of the Big Muddy Speaker Series. The original Missouri River Folk History Project was supported by Missouri River Communities Network.
The “Gumbo Bottoms” CD will be for sale at this event. Or you can request a copy by emailing Gumbo Bottoms – info(a)gumbobottomsmusical.com Suggested $15 donation and $3 shipping.
- 14020 W. Hwy BB, Rocheport, MO
- Take I-70 to the Rocheport, MO, exit (Exit #115). It’s the first exit east of the Missouri River.
- Head north toward Rocheport.
- After about a mile, turn left at the sign for Les Bourgeois Bistro. Follow the signs to the Bistro. You will probably need to park in the lot above the Bistro and walk the trail down.
- The presentations are held in upstairs in the restaurant. The restaurant is no longer open on Tuesdays but the bar is! You are welcome to bring your own food or snacks.
The Big Muddy Speaker Series in Rocheport
is hosted by these wonderful partners.
- Missouri River Relief
- Friends of Big Muddy
- Columbia Fish & Wildlife Conservation Office (USFWS)
- Les Bourgeois Vineyards
- Big Muddy National Fish & Wildlife Refuge
Special thanks to Les Bourgeois Vineyards for giving us the opportunity to use their beautiful space overlooking the Missouri River. All speakers are presenting for free! Thank you all for sharing your knowledge with us! Click here for a list of upcoming presentations» The Big Muddy Speaker Series also takes place monthly in Kansas City and St. Charles.
Resources and Links
Here’s some links for more on “Gumbo Bottoms – A Big Muddy Musical” and the Missouri River Folk History Project
- Gumbo Bottoms website
- Cathy Barton and Dave Para’s website
- “‘Bottoms’ up: Album serves up musical ‘Gumbo’” – Columbia Tribune article by Aarik Danielsen about CD release party, May 11, 2014
- “Project Captures stories of those living along the Missouri River” – Associated Press article about Missouri River Folk History Project, November 27, 2005
- “Remembering the Riverside” – Columbia Missourian article about Missouri River Folk History Project, January 18, 2006
- List of interviews from Missouri River Folk History Project housed at The State Historical Society of Missouri