Upcoming in St. Charles, Mo.
“Basin Timescales and their relevance to Flood Generation and Risk”
Presentation by Bob Criss, PhD, Department of Earth & Planetary Sciences, Washington University
Dr. Criss last spoke at the Speakers Series on the causes of the New Years flood of 2015-16 on the Meramec River. After the recent 2017 floods Dr. Criss has been interviewed by many media outlets on his research on sound floodplain management across the region.
Time and Place
Wednesday, June 14, 2017
Big A's on the Riverfront
View on map
Wednesday, June 14, 2017
6. p.m. Social Hour at Big A’s on the Riverfront
7:00 p.m. Presentation
At Big A’s on the Riverfront (in the back room)
308 N Main St. – St Charles, MO
Presentation is FREE and open to the public! Hosted by Greenway Network
Hosted by Greenway Network
Dr. Criss last spoke at the Speakers Series on the causes of the New Years flood of 2015-16 on the Meramec River. After the recent 2017 floods Dr. Criss has been interviewed by many media outlets on his research on sound floodplain management across the region. Please check out some of the articles linked on the right for more information on Criss, his work and flooding in our region.
Greenway Network would like to thank Dr. Criss for helping us continue our discussions on how we can better manage our rivers.
To Big A’s on the Riverfront, our host for the Speaker Series.
To get there from I-70
- Take I-70 to exit 229B – the 5th St. Exit
- Merge onto 5th St. headed north toward St. Charles.
- After about 1 mile, turn right on Monroe St.
- Turn left onto N. Main St.
- Big A’s will be on your right (308 N. Main St.) Additional parking is available in the rear.
- View on Google Maps.
Resources & Links
Dig deeper for more info on this topic –
- “Irony: Levees may make flooding worse” – by Erika Bolstad, May 8, 2017, Scientific American
- “Trump Country is Flooding, and Climate Ideas are Shifting” – by Erika Bolstad, May 15, 2017, E&E News
- “Two Catastrophic Floods in Less than Two Years wasn’t just a case of Bad Luck” – by Bryce Gray, May 8, 2017, St. Louis Post-Dispatch
- “Report: Valley Park levee was built too high, and neighbors paid the price” – by Bryce Gray, Sept. 1, 2016, St. Louis Post-Dispatch
- “Corps of Engineers meets with critics to discuss Valley Park levee’s design” – by Bryce Gray, Oct. 1, 2016, St. Louis Post-Dispatch
- “Record Missouri flooding was manmade calamity, scientist says” – by Diana Lutz, Feb. 1, 2016, The Source, Washington University
- OPINION – “Messenger: Region, Nation struggle to embrace shared responsibility of flooding” – by Tony Messenger, Sept. 20, 2016, St. Louis Post-Dispatch
- OPINION – “Messenger: Rising waters, two felons and a get-rich-quick scheme. A Mississippi River tale.” – by Tony Messenger, May 2, 2017.
- RESOURCE – “The Story behind Missouri Floods” – Missouri Coalition for the Environment
The Big Muddy Speakers Series in St. Charles
is hosted by these wonderful partners:
All speakers are presenting for free and Big A’s is sharing the space for free! Thank you for sharing your knowledge with all of us!
A special thank you to Greg Poleski and Mike Garvey of Greenway Network for making this happen!