Upcoming in Rocheport, Mo.
Big Muddy Catfish
Presentation by Joe McMullen, Big River Specialist for Mo. Dept. of Conservation
Joe will join us to give a history of catfishing on the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers, share some of the life history of these massive bottom-feeders and give an update on what biologists continue to learn about catfish populations on our big rivers.
Time and Place
Tuesday, October 11, 2016
Les Bourgeois Vineyards Bistro
View on map
Presentation by Joe McMullen, Mo. Dept. of Conservation Big River Specialist
Tuesday, October 11, 2016
- 7 p.m. presentation
- lower floor of the Les Bourgeois Vineyards Bistro in Rocheport, MO
- Map and Directions
If you intend on coming early to purchase an amazing dinner at Les Bourgeois Bistro before the presentation, PLEASE call to make a reservation at: 573-698-2300 and…tell them you are with the Big Muddy Speaker Series!
Presentation is FREE and open to the public!
If there’s one fish that people think of when they think of the Missouri River it’s gotta be the catfish. Which is actually three different species – blue, flathead and channel. Since the Missouri Department of Conservation (MDC) closed the commercial catfishery on the Missouri River in 1992, populations of trophy fish have taken off. And so has recreational trophy fishing with catfish tournaments exploding across the state. Recent state records have been set on the Missouri River for blue and flathead catfish.
Joe McMullen, the Big River Specialist for MDC, will join us to give a history of catfishing on the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers, share some of the life history of these massive bottom-feeders and give an update on what biologists continue to learn about catfish populations on our big rivers.
- 14020 W. Hwy BB, Rocheport, MO
- Take I-70 to the Rocheport, MO, exit (Exit #115). It’s the first exit east of the Missouri River.
- Head north toward Rocheport.
- After about a mile, turn left at the sign for Les Bourgeois Bistro. Follow the signs to the Bistro. You will probably need to park in the lot above the Bistro and walk the trail down.
- The presentations are held in upstairs in the restaurant. The restaurant is no longer open on Tuesdays but the bar is! You are welcome to bring your own food or snacks.
Resources and Links
Dig deeper for more info on this topic
- MDC portals for blue, flathead and channel cats.
- VIDEO – “Missouri Record Fish Stories – Flathead Catfish” – video produced by the Documentary Group for MDC.
- VIDEO – “Missouri Record Fish Stories – Blue Catfish” – video produced by the Documentary Group for MDC.
- Kansas City Catfish – organization hosts many huge tournaments on the Missouri River.
- ARTICLE – “Catching Big River Blues” by Danny Brown, Missouri Conservationist, June 2, 2006.
- ARTICLE – “Large catfish return to Missouri – Record blue is a product of MDC changes” – by Spencer Turner, Columbia Tribune – August 2, 2010.
- “Managing Missouri’s Catfish – A statewide management plan” – MDC plan published in 2003 (41 pp).
- “Missouri Commercial Fish Harvest Report 2000-2012” – MDC report (58 pp).
- Missouri State Fish Records
The Big Muddy Speaker Series in Rocheport
is hosted by these wonderful partners.
Click here for a list of upcoming presentations»
Special thanks to Les Bourgeois Vineyards for giving us the opportunity to use their beautiful space overlooking the Missouri River. All speakers are presenting for free! Thank you all for sharing your knowledge with us!
The Big Muddy Speaker Series also takes place monthly in Kansas City and St. Charles.
The Big Muddy Speaker Series is partially funded by the Mo. Dept. of Conservation.