Upcoming in St. Charles, Mo.
Mississippi, Missouri, or Big Muddy: What’s in a Name?
Presentation by author Dean Klinkenberg, “The Mississippi Valley Traveller”
Why do we call the river in the middle of the country “Mississippi”? Shouldn’t the name Missouri really carry forward to the Gulf, at least until it meets the Ohio River? Let’s talk river names with travel writer Dean Klinkenberg.
Time and Place
Wednesday, October 10, 2018
Big A's on the Riverfront
View on map
Presentation by author Dean Klinkenberg, “The Mississippi River Traveler”
Wednesday, October 10, 2018
6. p.m. Social Hour at Big A’s on the Riverfront
7:00 p.m. Presentation
At Big A’s on the Riverfront (in the back room)
308 N Main St. – St Charles, MO
Presentation is FREE and open to the public!
Hosted by Greenway Network
Why do we call the river in the middle of the country “Mississippi”? Shouldn’t the name “Missouri” really carry forward to the Gulf, at least until it meets the Ohio River? In this talk, Klinkenberg will describe the various ways we try to name rivers and why it matters. He’ll also answer the question about what name should be used for the river that flows through St. Louis to the Gulf.
Dean already gave this presentation at the Rocheport series and it was fantastic.
Dean Klinkenberg is a travel and mystery writer based in St. Louis, MO.
To Big A’s on the Riverfront, our host for the Speaker Series.
To get there from I-70
- Take I-70 to exit 229B – the 5th St. Exit
- Merge onto 5th St. headed north toward St. Charles.
- After about 1 mile, turn right on Monroe St.
- Turn left onto N. Main St.
- Big A’s will be on your right (308 N. Main St.) Additional parking is available in the rear.
- View on Google Maps.
Resources and Links
Dig deeper for more info on this topic
- “The Mississippi River Traveller” website – chock full of photos, stories, travel tips and more.
- More about Dean.
- Guide books and Mississippi River mysteries by Dean Klinkenberg
- ARTICLE – “Paddling on the Lower Mississippi River” by Dean Klinkenberg, Oct. 3, 2015, Minneapolis StarTribune
- Dean’s list of (over 1000) Mississippi River songs
The Big Muddy Speakers Series in St. Charles
is hosted by these wonderful partners:
All speakers are presenting for free and Big A’s is sharing the space for free! Thank you for sharing your knowledge with all of us!
A special thank you to Greg Poleski of Greenway Network for making this happen!
The views and opinions expressed by our presenters do not necessarily reflect the view or policies of Greenway Network, the Big Muddy Speaker Series or any of the partners that support this public forum. The Big Muddy Speaker Series believes that hearing diverse perspectives is a crucial building block for an informed public.