Upcoming in Rocheport, Mo.
Mississippi, Missouri, or Big Muddy: What’s in a Name?
Presentation by author Dean Klinkenberg, “The Mississippi Valley Traveller”
Why do we call the river in the middle of the country “Mississippi”? Shouldn’t the name Missouri really carry forward to the Gulf, at least until it meets the Ohio River? Let’s talk river names with travel writer Dean Klinkenberg.
Time and Place
Tuesday, September 11, 2018
Les Bourgeois Vineyards Bistro
View on map
Presentation by author Dean Klinkenberg, “The Mississippi River Traveler”
Tuesday, Sept. 11 2018
- 7 p.m. presentation (6 p.m. Social Hour)
- Les Bourgeois Vineyards Bistro in Rocheport, MO
- Map and Directions
The Bistro Restaurant is now closed on Tuesday, but the bar will be open. You ARE welcome to come early, bring some food and gather with friends before the presentation. Speaker Series attendees are welcome after 5 p.m.
Hosted by Missouri River Relief
The bridge at the Rocheport/Route BB exit is closed. If you are coming from the west, we suggest taking the next exit east, Route O/J. Head north on J for 0.1 mile, then take a left on Old Rocheport Rd. After 2.4 miles take a right at the “T” on Route BB, then look for the sign on your left for the Les Bourgeois Bistro. If you are coming from the east, you should be able to take the Rocheport exit as normal. But heading home, you will need to take a right out of Les Bourgeois, then a left on Old Rocheport Rd. After 2.4 miles, take a right on Route J toward I-70. Here’s the information the winery has posted.
Why do we call the river in the middle of the country “Mississippi”? Shouldn’t the name “Missouri” really carry forward to the Gulf, at least until it meets the Ohio River? In this talk, Klinkenberg will describe the various ways we try to name rivers and why it matters. He’ll also answer the question about what name should be used for the river that flows through St. Louis to the Gulf.
Dean Klinkenberg is a travel and mystery writer based in St. Louis, MO.
- 14020 W. Hwy BB, Rocheport, MO
- Take I-70 to the Rocheport, MO, exit (Exit #115). It’s the first exit east of the Missouri River.
- Head north toward Rocheport.
- After about a mile, turn left at the sign for Les Bourgeois Bistro. Follow the signs to the Bistro. You will probably need to park in the lot above the Bistro and walk the trail down.
- The presentations are held in upstairs in the restaurant. The restaurant is no longer open on Tuesdays but the bar is! You are welcome to bring your own food or snacks.
Resources and Links
Dig deeper for more info on this topic
- “The Mississippi River Traveller” website – chock full of photos, stories, travel tips and more.
- More about Dean.
- Guide books and Mississippi River mysteries by Dean Klinkenberg
- ARTICLE – “Paddling on the Lower Mississippi River” by Dean Klinkenberg, Oct. 3, 2015, Minneapolis StarTribune
- Dean’s list of (over 1000) Mississippi River songs
The Big Muddy Speaker Series in Rocheport
is hosted by these wonderful partners.
Special thanks to Les Bourgeois Vineyards for giving us the opportunity to use their beautiful space overlooking the Missouri River. All speakers are presenting for free! Thank you all for sharing your knowledge with us!
The Big Muddy Speaker Series also takes place monthly in Kansas City and St. Charles.
The views and opinions expressed by our presenters do not necessarily reflect the view or policies of Missouri River Relief, the Big Muddy Speaker Series or any of the partners that support this public forum. The Big Muddy Speaker Series believes that hearing diverse perspectives is a crucial building block for an informed public.